Pages

Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Raccoon Painting

The animals that manage to live right next door to us, right on the edge of our yards and the edges of our towns are the some of the most clever and most adaptable animals. These are the coyotes, rabbits, marmots, raccoons, mice and squirrels: not generally admired, they really do deserve recognition for cohabiting with us.

These animals have found their ways to live with us in spite of the dangers that we as humans present. I have to say I admire their adaptability and this painting celebrates a particular favourite of mine.

Here is an acrylic painting on board of a young raccoon delicately washing up in the creek.


 This is a painting that explores visual textures... Rocks, fur and water.......hard, soft and liquid. 
I took this as my demo painting to Opus Art Store and shared part of my process in creating textures with the artists that attended. 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful! I do so love your rocks and water! How big is this piece?

Bonnie Heather said...

Well done and I love the subject matter...so cute.

Valerie said...

Thank you Shawn and Bonnie....love to put rocks, water and animals together and this seemed like a great combination.