Pages

Thursday, May 2, 2013

The woods are Alive.

Spring is my favorite time of year. Everything is growing, coming out of the winter dormant stage and coming alive....just love the feel of this season, the smell of the air and the chance to see the animals all out and about again.

My top animal sighting this past week is of a 2 year old moose. I had the opportunity to see him while we were on a hike up the mountain.  He crossed the trail just in front of us and loped up the hillside. Second interesting sighting on the same hike was of a large garter snake swimming across the creek. Always cool to see how well snakes can swim.

But have to tell you this week is full of animal sightings...here are a few more. Baby mallard ducklings (13 with one mother,) painted turtles, blue herons, eagles, pheasants, squirrels, flock of quail, marmots, kestrels, magpies, red winged black birds and a multitude of other birds at both the feeder and the lake. The year will only get better with more and more animal sightings now that weather is warming. It is, as I said, my favorite time of year!

In celebration of my first moose sighting of 2013, here is a moose painting I painted a few years ago. This big painting has found a wonderful home in northern Saskatchewan.

1 comment:

Valerie said...

Six feet wide is the largest size of painting that I have completed to date. I would like to paint a moose in a six foot vertical formate to trully represent their size and give the veiwer the feeling of the impact of meeting a moose in the woods.