Pages

Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Despite the Snow...Spring is coming!

We were happily adapting to the warmer weather and the receding snow banks.  On Sunday all but the most subborn piles of snow were gone from our yard. Then without warning we went from raking the lawn to waking up yesterday to 4 inches of the white stuff blanketing everything and still falling. All morning snow...still falling.... still falling..... till we had 8 inches of the white fuffly stuff. Funny how in November I feel it is so beautiful, almost magical to see the world covered in white. But in March it just makes me grit my teeth and growl.

Today while most of Salmon Arm has lost its snowy covering, we are still holding on to ours but at least the roads are now clear and dry. So we are off for a walk.....I am stubbornly looking for any sign of our great horned owls.....Spring (if it is really here) is almost nesting time for them.

Every spring we watch and wait for any sign of the owls....first you see the adults and then suddenly the little ones are out also. They are big owlets by the time they leave the nest....as you can see in my painting they are almost the same size as the adults. They are lighter coloured and fuffy. In fact as they age they shrink in size as their fuffy white feathers are replaced by sleek smooth adult feathers.

1 comment:

Bonnie Heather said...

Hi Valerie, the weather sure is temperamental these days. My primroses just keep smiling even thought the snow keeps covering them. If they can do it I guess I can too. :-D